Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: RE: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:48:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:56:57 -0400, Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>The more advanced Zeps had a special pressure valve that vented when
>the airship went above "pressure altitude". The American made
>Airships (The Akron and Macon) were fitted with condensors that
>recovered water vapor from the engines in order to replenish ballast
>and reduce the loss of ballast weight as fuel was consumed.

They still had problems, though, even with the pressure valve. A number
of
atmospheric effects could send them upwards, where they had to vent gas,
only
to have the effect disappear and the ship sink without enough gas to
stabilize. They were particularly tricky things to fly. The idea posted
here
that they could stay in the air for weeks is perhaps a bit optimistic.
On the
other hand, with "gas refueling" airships and such, maybe it could work.

I'm not sure a condensor would be much good in the 80,000 to 100,000
feet
range, though. Not a whole lot of moisture up there...

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: RE: Slow planes was: Battle blimps