Prev: RE: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH] Next: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH]

Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:35:22 EDT
Subject: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:32:25 +1000 Beth.Fulton@csiro.au writes:
<snip>

>On a recon footing you could take the step further and say with the
>remote
>guidance tech used in that pilotless plane they could stay up there a
>LONG
>time just watching. Then again satellite coverage may make that a bit
>redundant.
>
>Cheers
>
>Beth

No secrets here but satellites aren't perfect, you never have enough for
all jobs, and competing interests (high for maps low for 'other uses')
eat over 100% of the assets.  Add the joy of clouds on EO (Electro
Optical) systems, and other natural and man made problems plus hardware
'anomalies' and you see why drones are loved for more then just the fast
response times.  Drone loses 'eyes' you launch a replacement, land it,
fix it and put it back up in the air.  Satellites don't do so well at
landing...

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: RE: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH] Next: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH]