Prev: Re: FT Campaigns -was Re: London GZG Next: Re: Battle blimps

Configurable display panels

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:59:26 -0400
Subject: Configurable display panels

[Tomb]

I think this is something that we'll see. I think moreso for well
trained units (SF etc) and it can probably be locked out for recruits.
But if it gives someone an edge, it'll be available to the elite.

[Roger]

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:49:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Roger Books <books@jumpspace.net>

Do you know how many stupid, worthless, inaffective settings your users
would pick if allowed to chose their view?

[Tomb]

I worked with police dispatchers. The dispatch window was configureable.
Base colour scheme as light blue with some yellow. Easy to read. Yet
I've seen some as had theirs configured in blaze pink and some other
atrocious shades. To me, these shades would hurt the eyes. But
apparently they weren't using my eyes. It made them happier and more
productive. And it was readable by others because some things were fixed
- where the patrol unit status marquee showed up, how an alert showed up
(the icon, whether it flashed, where on the screen it appeared).

You can give people configurable control up to a point. Where that point
is depends on who it is and how well trained they are. And you want to
be able to grab a one click option to restore defaults.

An inability to configure UIs is one of the most singular failures in
usability IMO. It says "we're gonna restrict everyone to the design
produced by the committee". I'm a power user of computers and I
absolutely hate this. The same will undoubtedly be true of elite forces
especially once they get given the option.

If adjusting my image filter a bit into the violet spectra makes me
better on point, then that's great. You don't go friggin around with kit
when you're in the field (unless you're an idiot or desparate). That's
what training is for - to learn what your gear does and how it works
best. Some things need to stay where they are (your wound dressing for
instance) so anyone coming to help you can find it. Some things don't
(your HUD) need to be exactly identical as long as meaning is preserved
in some fashion.

But again, this will come down to troop quality and training. Poorly
trained troops with adjustable equipment will be arsing about, have the
settings wrong, etc. (A great example of this deals with internal
configuration of starship lighting on an alien ship in John Ringo's
latest couple of books). But good troops will setup things for optimal
performance.

Roger says he'd rather have 5 guys at 100% than four guys at 103% and
one guy at 30%. I'd rather have four guys at 103% and leave the other
guy at 100% until he gets trained on the gear.....

Prev: Re: FT Campaigns -was Re: London GZG Next: Re: Battle blimps