Prev: Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions Next: RE: Battle blimps

RE: Battle blimps

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:17:30 +1000
Subject: RE: Battle blimps

G'day,

> - It's a bigger target

Assuming it's as easy to detect (which it probably is).

> - The blimp can't be armoured because it has to be light

Well the balloon section at least. I've seen some blimp stuff where the
gondola was pretty well done and once you get to a certain size it has a
benefit of its own as evidenced by the Sikorsky Muromets' record vs
fighters.

> - Holes will (most likely) degrade it's performance more than an
> equivalent hole on a jet - this depends on a fair amount of
> assumptions about their construction, however.

OK I'm working off WWI stuff here, but they actually survived better
than
planes on average given that they rarely turned into a "flying brick"
after
the first round of fire. Weather seems to have been a much bigger danger
them.

Cheers

Prev: Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions Next: RE: Battle blimps