Prev: Re: Battle blimps Next: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available

[SGII] AAR

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [SGII] AAR

OK, we played 2 games here over the past few weeks
teaching a guy from my unit how to play stargrunt.

Game 1, about 2 weeks ago.

Bluefor:  Ad hoc borderer group, composed of:

1xAkritai squad (6xGauss Rifle&IAVR, 2xGauss SAWs, d6
armor)
3xBoukellaroi fireteams (Elements of the local dux's
bodyguard): Fast d12 PA, 2xGauss rifles, GMS/P Sup,
Gauss SAW
2xBoukellaroi squads: d8 Armor, 7xGauss rifles (1 with
GMS/P Sup lcr), 1xGauss SAW
2xJeeps
1xFire Support varient of Theophilus Light Personell
Carrier.  Size 3, Armor 2, RFAC/1, 2xGauss SAW, Sup
ECM
HQ Element: PL, PSG, Medic, EW

Redfor:  Turkish Republic Regulars:
4xSquads: 8 men, d8 armor, 2xSAW, 2xRPG (IAVR,
reloadable), AAR
3xLight Tanks:Size 2, RFAC/2, Enh ECM, Armor 2, 2xSAW
HQ Element

The terrain was pretty open over 2/3 of the board,
dominated by a ridge along the south edge.  The
northern 1/3 was densely wooded.  There was a square
of stone buildings near the east edge of the board on
the edge of the forest.

The Turks came on board on the densely wooded North
side.  They pushed their infantry up towards the stone
buildings.  Their tanks advanced into the open.

The NRE forces put the Akritai in the jeeps and pushed
them into the southernmost two buildings.  The line
squads were pushed up behind them.  Two fireteams of
PA dug in and parked on the southern ridgeline and
exchanged indecisive fire with the light tanks (1 KIA,
1 WIA, 2 KOed tanks).  The LPC with a last fireteam
was in reserve.

The Turks got into the northern set of buildings and
started shooting it out with the Akritai.  The NRE put
a squad into the east building and attracted the
attention of about 3 Turk squads.  Got shot up pretty
heavily.  The second squad of line troopers made their
way into the building, and the Turks could no longer
generate the firepower to keep them both suppressed.
One Turk squad moved up to within 2 inches of the
building then got mowed down.  At this point the last
light tank charged at the PA, and gets wasted for it's
trouble by the LPC.  Then the LPC charges in a pair of
Turk squads and gets wasted by an RPG.	The PA
dismounts and eats that squad for lunch in close
combat.  Another Turk squad moves in a shoots up the
PA.  At this point, the survivoirs of the fight on the
ridge reorganize into 1 six-man squad and charge into
the Turks, knocking out 2 squads in a series of close
assaults.

At this point the Turkish LT, surrenders the last 10
combat-effective troops on the board as he is the only
one capable of effectively escaping and he doesn't
want to explain what happened to his platoon.

Lessons Learned:
Do NOT get into close combat with unsuppressed Powered
Armor.
Do NOT let John control the tempo of the game.
Do NOT let John get into hard cover.
He who holds a reserve and commits it last, wins.
There's a reason for multiple SAWs in an MTOE.	I
didn't design the force structure we used.

The second game had a flaw in scenario design.
Functionally identical forces, except that one had 2
2-shot rocket launchers that had an 8" blast radius
and d8 impact.
Oh, and did I mention that it was in a swamp so
movement outside of vehicles was halved.  Roger got a
position on the hilltop in the middle of the game and
I was setting up an assault until Roger's artillery
took out 2 of my line squads, my weapons squad, my LT,
and 1 of my IFVs.  Meanwhile the enemy IFVs and my
remaining IFVs pretty much trashed each other.
At which point I decided that there was no point in
continuing the scenario so I broke contact.

Had I done what my doctrine demanded, I would have
broke contact as soon as Roger got into position.
There was no way to effectively maneuver, and I didn't
have the firepower to just blast a hole.

John

Prev: Re: Battle blimps Next: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available