Prev: Re: Brian's KV Next: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available

RE: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH]

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:42:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH]

--- CS Renegade <njg@csrenegade.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Out-of-genre, I'd say mercenaries are more likely to
> use such weapons since they won't have to face the
> legal
> or political fall-out.

Won't have to face legal and political fallout?  Are
you insane?  Mercs have a FAR higher vulnerability to
Great Power actions than other great powers.  And as
for political fallout, if a merc unit becomes known as
the "Butchers of Beta Trianguli" and acquires a
reputation for flinging nerve gas with gay abandon,
then there is no way in HELL that they could ever get
hired by anyone.  How could you explain to your voters
that you hired a bunch of crazed lunatics?

Mercs can get arrested.  It's not hard.  If you have a
merc company, then you don't have the support
structure in place to protect you.  All I have to do
is place the merc unit's family in "protective
custody" and all of a sudden the mercs are real
cooperative.

> In genre, we know they were used by Swiss
> mercenaries in
> 2129 to cover their raid on the Philipines.

With massive political outcry.

John

Prev: Re: Brian's KV Next: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available