Prev: Re: UN Fleet Next: Leadership from the front....

Leading from the Front, Atkinson-style!

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:16:21 -0400
Subject: Leading from the Front, Atkinson-style!

John the indefatiguable said:

OK, I'm sick of the damn 2LTs (Subalterns
for you Brits) sitting on their side of the
board immobile, next to the EW guy and
"leading" via FM.

[Tomb]: Quite. Though the presence of
snipers is also a cure. "He's on his own!
Must be the ossifer!"

1)Use the varient PSG rules,

[Tomb] You might mean some rules from
http://www.stargrunt.ca/rules/rules_index.
htm

<snip>

2)Simulataneous Movement/Commo
permits LTs and PSGs to move while
passing an activation.	Reduced move
(4"/6"/8", instead of 6/8/12), and cannot do
simultaneous movement if he has been
fired on since his activation in the previous
turn.  Once he is stuck in, his attention is a
bit more distracted.  :)

[Tomb]: Little clunky given you'd have to
track when he was fired on last turn. How
about instead relating this to suppresion?

3)Tagalong.  An officer or PSG can 'tag
along' with a squad.  Tagging along makes
a leader part of the squad for movement
purposes and exposes him to a chance of
being hit when the squad is fired on.  If a
leader is tagging along, he can only use 1
action and the only thing he can do with
that action is Communicate (to
include passing activations).

[Tomb] By making my leaders individuals
(visit the above URL), they acquire the
ability to join and separate from a regular
squad merely by declaring it so (see SG2
rules on individual figures).

<snip>

5)A unit being led by an LT or PSG of
quality 2 or better in declared "Follow Me"
automatically adds 1 to all Confidence
Checks.

[Tomb] I said use the better of their
leadership or that of the original squad
leader. Don't think that's enough? Are you
more confident having two competent
senior NCOs or a Lt. looking over your
shoulder (as a Pvt) or with one? (Or are
you just more nervous....)

[Tomb] You also don't cover the lowering
of confidence that happens when the new
green Lt. comes over and starts issuing bad
orders to the reasonably competent
NCO..... (This could be a MINUS).

[Tomb] Perhaps the answer is to always
use the leadership of the senior leader
when multiple leaders are temporarily in a
squad.

6)If a unit is fired on during or immediately
after a bonus activation passed via Follow
Me, the leader counts as 3 soldiers for
purposes of determining chance of being
wounded if the fire is effective.  IE,
if an LT is leading an 8 man squad and they
get fired at, instead of a 1 in nine chance,
he has a 3 in 11 chance.

[Tomb] I know why you suggest this, but I
suggest that this might not be as obvious
in the GZG period and additionally, from a
mechanical perspective, things in a turn are
supposed to be (loosely) simultaneous, so
this thing of "after" is kind of a problem to
my mind.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: UN Fleet Next: Leadership from the front....