Prev: RE: [DS, SG] Sources of WWI tanks and knights Next: UN Fleet Redux

Re: [SG2] Question: Put Variant Rules in Web Pages?

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 20:26:44 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [SG2] Question: Put Variant Rules in Web Pages?

Quoting Allan Goodall <agoodall@att.net>:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:39:07 +0100, Roger Burton West
> <roger@firedrake.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Yes. HTML is much easier than any of those other formats to convert
> for
> >other uses - for example, as a document on a palmtop. Acrobat Reader
> >(for example) is a large, buggy piece of software which certainly
> isn't
> >on every system from which I access the net; HTML, in a pinch, can be
> >read manually.
>
> I was going to produce a Palm DOC format document, too. I did a whole
> lot of
> the work on _Hardtack_ on my Palm using WordSmith. *grin*
>
> >(Also, I'm not sure about RTF, but MS-Word and Acrobat are
> proprietary
> >standards, subject to change at any time. Just ask anyone who's tried
> >load old Word files...)
>
> RTF is non-proprietary. It's pretty much standard, which is why I
wasn't
> going
> to put it in HTML. It just doesn't handle certain formatting that Word
> and
> Acrobat allow.
>
> But you make a very good point about the portability of HTML.

Acrobat isn't a format. Acrobat is the main reader for the format, the
format is
PDF. Which is essentially PostScript with some extensions to the
interpreter to
do all sorts of neat things, most of which never get used (proper
hypertexting,
for example).

LaTeX - typeset it in LaTeX!! Everyone speaks LaTeX. Or something LaTeX
can be
output to....

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions

Prev: RE: [DS, SG] Sources of WWI tanks and knights Next: UN Fleet Redux