Prev: Re: Something to turn you green Next: Re: Completely off topic

Re: [DS,FT] NSF (Not my Bank Account)

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:18:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS,FT] NSF (Not my Bank Account)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, John Atkinson wrote:

> --- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm referring to Non-Standard Forces - those ships
>
> > tack.   Any other suggestions?
>
> I know people have suggested using them for Merc
> forces, and I suggested ad hoc emergency task forces
> formed out of surviviors of other units.
>
> You could also have an ongoing campaign based around
> them, call it "Survivors", an entire Xenephon-inspired
> riff on the theme of a mighty nation that hired a wide
> assortment of mercenary units to suppress a rebellion
> or stop and invasion.  All of a sudden, their
> employers are kicked to the curb.
>
> And the nearest space port is 5,000 km THAT WAY.

You know, this could be a pretty cool campaign. I've read (and enjoyed)
Xenophon's "The Ten Thousand", wished that real world politics allowed
me
to re-trace the route myself (eastern Turkey, Syria & Iraq - not a happy
region...) but never thought about it for a campaign, SF or otherwise.

And of course it's the perfect excuse for a come-as-you-are event, with
all sorts of odd vehicles straggling along. The only problem is that
it's
harder for armoured vehicles to 'live off the land' like the Greeks did
across Asia Minor. Instead of raiding hill tribes for food, you'd try to
raid firebases and maintenance dumps for ammo, parts & fuel!

Course, we haven't played DS2 in a year or more around here...

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -

Prev: Re: Something to turn you green Next: Re: Completely off topic