Prev: Re: Completely off topic (if you don't have a computer) Next: Re: Completely off topic

Re: Completely off topic

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:06:30 +0100
Subject: Re: Completely off topic

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 12:56:37AM -0400, Glenn M Wilson wrote:
>Okay, I vaguely remember this 'warning' is hoax based but I am not sure

>(even more then normal) and my 'virus expert' at work is not available
at
>home this week-end.  This  [Early_American_Wars]  list is one of "my
>lists" and I would like a knowledgable answer if anyone has expertise
or
>experience with this file -  SULFNBK.EXE - so please respond off list
>save band width and help me make a correct response to my EAW list
>people.

I'm responding on list because I think the information may be useful to
others here.

There are two separate SULFNBK.EXE viruses. The far more common one is a
human virus, in that following the instructions given will damage your
system. When it was realised that this was the case, a real virus was
written to take advantage of the fact, but this is extremely rare (I've
never seen it in the field). See
http://www.vmyths.com/hoax.cfm?id=257&page=3 for more information.

In essence, if you are still using a platform prone to viral infection
(only Windows, these days), obtain and use good anti-virus software. If
you get a virus alert or think your machine may be infected, please
check vmyths.com (or an anti-virus software vendor's site, if you
prefer) before forwarding it.

Cheers,

Prev: Re: Completely off topic (if you don't have a computer) Next: Re: Completely off topic