Prev: Construction System and Point Cost Next: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame)

Re: Construction System and Point Cost

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:38:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Construction System and Point Cost

Construction System and Point CostDave Reeves HTML'd:
>so my question is what are reasonable proportions between ground and
space force purchases in a campaign setting?  I really cannot even
venture a guess at the moment....

That's because you your question, as asked, doesn't have an answer.
It will vary by campaign, and by nation within the campaign, and
possibly by province with the nation, and by time within the campaign.

For example: how much is a carrier worth, relative to a division of
troops?
If you're playing the US, you could trade N divisions to buy a
carrier.  If you're the UK, N is a different number.   If you're Iran,
you can't build a single carrier--you don't have the infrastructure.
If you're the US and you've lost Newport News Shipyards, you might be
able to build another carrier but it would certainly be much more
expensive.

That having been said, here's what the British Empire had in 1935
(Imperial Military Geography, Major DH Cole, 8th ed):
Total Population: 490 million
British Army 199,000
Indian Army and Indian State Forces: 211,000
Dominion Permanent Forces: 13,000
Permanent Colonial Forces: 13,000

(Ratio of active soldiers per total population: UK 1:1120, US 1:914,
Japan 1:656, France 1:144, Germany 1:129)

UK reserves: 144,000
Territorial Army: 130,000 (not liable for service outside the home
islands)

UK squadrons:
43 bomber, 15 fighter, 8 flying boat, 1 bomber transport, 1 torpedo
bomber, 10 "army cooperation", and a bit more than 12 squadrons in the
Fleet.

Royal Navy:
15 BB and BC, 50 cruisers, 8 carriers, 161 flotilla leaders and
destroyers, 54 subs.  Under construction, 4 capital, 18 subs, 2 CV, 12
DD. That includes Indian Navy, New Zealand Squadron,  Aussie,
Canadian, and South African Navies.
19 Dockyards & Anchorages, from Scapa Flow to Singapore, including 11
Armament Depots but not including the Dominion yards in Canada, New

Prev: Construction System and Point Cost Next: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame)