Prev: [DS2] WW2 + LECC Next: Re: [DS] Capacity, Points - Trying to put it all together. Long post.

Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

From: John Lambshead <pjdl@n...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:58:41 +0100
Subject: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

This is right. European cars are generally much 'quicker' than American
cars (and around twice as expensive) despite much smaller engines
largely
because of  (i) higher power/weight ratios, (ii) high manual gearage (my

family saloon car is only doing 3K revs at 80 mph in fifth gear), and
complex stiff suspension designed for stability rather than comfort (you

feel every bump).

A further limitation come into play. You can make the AFV go fast over
rough terrain but the crew inside get exhausted to the point of military

ineffectiveness by being banged around. Formula 1 drivers are supremely
fit
athletes and Mansell still had to be lifted out of the car sometimes at
the
end of a race. The heavier the vehicle the more it smooths this out, so
have read that oddly heavier AFVs can often maintain higher cross
country
speeds than light ones.

The point is that top speed in straight lines on flat surfaces and
'quickness' (i.e. ability to maintain high speeds in realistic operating

conditions) are not the same thing.

John

>Hi,
>
>Actually, without the massive amount of weight, the bulldozer could go
>much faster, but it would also need a totally different transmission.
Most