Prev: RE: [DSII] Walker Minis Next: Re: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

Re: [DS] Capacity, Points - Trying to put it all together.

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon@f...>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:01:05 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Re: [DS] Capacity, Points - Trying to put it all together.

Adrian Johnson wrote:
> 2) Capacity/size is relevant.  First, we want to be able to know that
there
> is some degree of WYSIWYG on the battlefield.
> Second, we want to be able
> to know how many of X vehicle we can fit in a dropship, whether the
bridge
> will hold the vehicle, whether it can fit down that street, etc.

You can solve both of these issues by adding Size and/or Weight back
into a tactical point system.  As they are described above they
would be a modifier on the Mobility Value of a vehicle.  There's no
inherent reason that they'd be linked to the Signature of the
vehicle (except possibly by a fluff/capacity/background system).

I could build a flying basketball/drone of death.  It might have a Size
of 1 (capable of fitting down small streets), a Signature of 1, and
a Surface Weight of 10,000kg (made of Neutronium).  It hovers
on little super jets of air (which will tear up the concrete of streets
as it hovers down them :-).  Bridges could be rated by the Weight
they could support and the Size that could cross (same for dropships).
Streets just by the Size they can take.  Both Size/Weight are Mobility
concerns (and minor ones at that), and Signature remains a Defensive
concern.  The WYSIWYG is addressed since Size is once more a factor
in the vehicle construction (just not in the same way as before).

The next two questions are:
o Do we need BOTH Size and Weight ... could we get by with one value
(ie just Size)?

Probably.  You would lose some descriptiveness.  But this is the
current way the DS2 works (so you're not losing descriptiveness
that you once had).

o Can we get by with no additional values (ie is the complexity added
worth it)?

Really, this is a question about the amount of complexity we want to
add to the tactical point system.  Size/Weight do have some tactical
concerns associated with them ... but do they have enough that they
should be represented?

DarylL

p.s. Yes, there is nothing stopping you from having a Size 1 vehicle
with a 5 Signature (picture a "small" orb of energy/light whisking about

Prev: RE: [DSII] Walker Minis Next: Re: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points