Prev: Cityfight Next: Re: [SGII] Small Arms

Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:01:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

Michael Llaneza wrote:

> Yeah, the DS2 system needs some work, but so much that it needs to be
> scrapped altogether.
>
> Some of the real world examples depend on assumptions. One big one is
> the Ontos, with its six recoiless rifles. That's way too many to fit
on
> a small vehicle. Looked at another way, the Ontos has just one weapon
> system and maybe giving it a single SLAM is more accurate (my copy of
> DS2 is hiding right now or I'd run out the stats). The SLAM is much
> closer to how the Ontos was actually used, so it is more accurate to
> rate it that way.
>
> Any other vehicles that DS2 can't build ?

Lots of real vehicles have too many MGs to be legal (I'm assuming the
'free' APSW is a pintle mounted weapon only, so the co-ax has to be paid
for). I can offer the following perfect example off the top of my head
(mostly WW2 since my knowledge of that is better than more recent
vehicles) :

Soviet T35 tank (1 76mm gun, 2 45mm, 5-6 MGs)

Others which are a bit subjective, depending on your view of size
classes :

Panzer I (two MGs on a class-1 vehicle)
Any very small (ie class-1) tank with a main gun and co-ax MG
British A9 cruiser (2-pdr, co-ax MG, two independent turreted MG -
probably a class-3 vehicle)
M3 Lee (37mm, 75mm, co-ax MG, turreted MG, bow MG - probably class-3
possibly -4)
M8 Greyhound (37mm, co-ax MG, AA HMG - class-1 maybe -2)
etc.

and the following from popular SF :

AT-ST 'Chicken Walker' from RotJ (at least 3 separate weapons systems on
a class-1 walker)

There are others that would be illegal on the 'no weapons system greater
than vehicle size+1' rule, depending on how you rate vehicle sizes (IMHO
the Ontos would only be a class-1, but a SLAM has a minimum size class
of 3). A few examples (my opinion only, of course) :

PzI with 15cm sIG33 Infantry gun (heavy artillery (class-6 weapon) on a
class-1 vehicle !)
Several other small German SPGs which mounted the 15cm sIG or 15cm sFH
weapons
Any vehicle smaller than class-5 mounting a heavy artillery piece (eg
M-12 or M-40)

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer

Prev: Cityfight Next: Re: [SGII] Small Arms