Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@t...>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 06:01:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:35:29AM +0100, Adam Benedict Canning wrote:
> [Actually silhouette says you can't shrink a vehicle to that degree.
> one fifth the size [which works out at one tenth the weight is the
> limit.]]

Actually, Actually, that limit only applies to the Heavy Gear
universe; Jovian Chronicles has a different set of "setting norms,"
and Silhouette, the engine, itself, doesn't care one tiny fig.

THAT, at core, I think, is at the heart of much of this needed
overhaul.  The mechanics don't care about setting, just describing
effect.  Settings are better handled through "social means;"
essentially setting limits and enforcing them by saying, "Hey, that's
beyond the pale and it doesn't even have the excuse of being a one-off
prototype vehicle!"  Those only work on a per-setting basis, because
anything else codes expectations into the mechanics, which limits
expression.  Like cutting the word "orange" out of language, you
remove expressiveness.

If I want to put a group of medium and small mecha up against X's
deathcannon-armed jeeps, and the effectiveness /in general/ is equal,
the points should be (roughly) equal as well.  Yes, if the terrain is
all rough I'll have the advantage, and if its all concrete, he will,
but those are things mechanics cannot (and, in my opinion, by
extension, /should not/) address in terms of points.

--
Alexander Williams (thantos@telocity.com)   |	 http://www.chancel.org

====
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably
the  |
same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it
is|
their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to
provide|

Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)