Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: GZG and david Drake

Re: FMA/SGII (non)points system for DSIII

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 08:37:38 -0800
Subject: Re: FMA/SGII (non)points system for DSIII

Within their assumptions some points systems do "work". I haven't seen a

pefect one, but for most situations within its design parameters, I
think that DS2's points system is ok. Even the BPV system from SFB,
which is both calculated and playtested, is acknowledged to be a fairly
subjective system, e.g. a Kzinti BC is a lot more effective than its BPV

value *if* it manages to stay at range 2 of its opponents. A 500-point
Champions character with no hardened defenses can be killed by a cheaper

character with piercing killing attacks (Kodiak, we salute you !) but
their system tries to cover a very broad range of situations,

The quest for the Holy Grail is a quest of slf-improvement. A points
system can be worked on to be adapted for a wider range of assumptions,
and can be made very playable (DS2)  even without being "perfect" for
all situations and possible designs.