Prev: RE: SCOUTS OUT! Next: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

Re: DS3 points

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:18:22 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: DS3 points

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:44:22 -0500 (EST), Roger Books
<books@jumpspace.net> wrote :

> On  5-Apr-02 at 11:50, Tomb (tomb@dreammechanics.com) wrote:
>
> > [Tomb] I'd be happy if you can supply an argument based on IN GAME
> > EFFECT that argues why it is necessary to account for vehicle size
and
> > equipment since only the SIGNATURE dice is considered in the game.
>
> Ah choose your ground carefully.  You may argue only as long as you
> don't use the point I can't address.	:)
>
> I want to be able to travel to city X, game with player Y, and by
> looking at the mini have a clue as to its' capabilities.  Your
> plan does away with this.  It's excessively generic.

I'm not saying that it isn't an admirable goal, but if you're hoping for
a rule system that will prevent twits from being twits...well, let's
just say that I think
that you'd be better off searching for the Holy Grail.	At least a few
people can claim to have *seen* that.

Even with the current system, there's nothing *in the rules* to prevent
an opponent from sticking bits of cheese on the table and claiming that
they are
alien biotanks that extend weapon systems as needed.

"That hole there?  It's a DFFG/5.  And that one?  HEL/3.  Oh, and,
before I forget, these are grav cheese....I mean tanks."

Twits will be twits, no matter what you do.

> While DS and SG are generic there are assumptions made which, IMNSHO,
> make it a good game.	They're designed around a David Drake,
> Rick Shelly model of military fiction.  The fighting stays the same
> we just have better technology.  If you try to account for the
> skateboard that can take out a company that feeling is going to go
> away and the games are going to become just another <yawn> who
> can design the most munchkin of equipment.

Not unless you relinquish all control over your own gaming.  There are,
admittedly, people who enjoy cheese gaming for its own sake.  More power
them, say I!  I don't believe in HWF, and these people bring more money
and more gamers into the system.  And, best of all, their presence
doesn't
prevent me from using the system as *I* want.  If you're gaming with
total strangers, you're always taking a chance, no matter what the rules
may be.
Maybe you can guess the exact capabilities of his tanks, but he uses
loaded dice.  Or doesn't bathe.  Or throws a tantrum when he loses.

These people exist.  And when I encounter them, I'm not afraid to pack
up my minis, walk away, and chalk up the encounter to experience.  And
then I
come home and game with people I know and trust.

If you like the Drakeian assumptions, you can stick with them; that's
never going to change.	Making the system more expansive can draw in
those who
find Drakeian gaming too restricitve.

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: RE: SCOUTS OUT! Next: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)