Prev: Points vs No Points Next: Re: SCOUTS OUT!

Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

From: Jim Callahan <res03m1u@g...>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:24:05 -0600
Subject: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

Daryl Lonnon wrote:

>Then, after determining the fluff statistics of a vehicle, you
>determine how much the vehicle costs in points.

that's good.  It reminds me of a game system for space combat (not FT,
ahem, sorry) that is easy to use and fun and results in incredibly
balanced ship designs.

http://www.mj12games.com/starmada

Basically, you have Hull size, weapons cost based on power, and
defensive things cost a percentage of hull (ECM takes up less space than

a Decoy)

>So a defense of level a costs b points.
>Movement of c costs d * (Defense Modifier) points.

movement should add to both defense and offense

>A offense of level e costs f * (Def Mod * Move Mod) points.
>
>Total up the three values to get the cost of the vehicle.

you pose the starmada system ina nutshell
basically, you have sqrt(offense + defense)

which provides great balance and prevents cheesiness

--
jim@tablegamer.com
http://www.tablegamer.com

Prev: Points vs No Points Next: Re: SCOUTS OUT!