Prev: Re: [DS] Points system Next: Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire

Re: [DSII] Heresey

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:15:20 +0200
Subject: Re: [DSII] Heresey

John Crimmins wrote:

>I've been doing a good bit of DSII designing lately, and something's
been
>bothering me about the system.  Let me see if I can put this into
words;
>I've only
>just managed to put my finger on what it is.
>
>When you look at Full Thrust, it's very possible to have two ships of
>identical mass (and virtually identical point cost) that are *very*
>different from each
>other, but still very competitive.  Ship X may have Pulse Torps and
>screens, while Ship Y has beam weapons and armor, but neither of the
two
>is clearly
>superior to the other.
>
>It seems that DSII is missing this factor; it's very easy to see (and
>design) the ideal tank.

That's because the FTFB ship design system is the third iteration of the

Full Thrust design rules, and was based on 5-6 years of experience with
the
design rules in FT2 - which were about as one-sided as the current DS2
ones
- there was only one beam weapon worth using (A batteries), essentially
only three ship sizes worth using (namely the ones immediately below the

class thresholds), and level-3 screens was pretty much compulsory
(except
on escorts). DS2 today has similar problems - points-optimized designs
should always use Superior FCS, the maximum allowed level of reactive
armour (IAVRs and GMSs are far more dangerous than HELs), no Stealth
etc.
(Points usually *are* a problem, and Stealth is freakin' expensive...)

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [DS] Points system Next: Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire