Prev: Re: [DS] Dicing variants was: Hidden units Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

Re: [DSII] Heresy

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:10:11 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [DSII] Heresy

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:52:59 -0500 (EST), Roger Books
<books@jumpspace.net> wrote :

> On  4-Apr-02 at 09:25, John Crimmins (johncrim@voicenet.com) wrote:

"Heresey"?  Man, where did I learn to spell?

> > It seems that DSII is missing this factor; it's very easy to see
(and
> > design) the ideal tank.  Given two grav tanks of similar size with
> > turreted weapons,  designed by two different people, how different
are
> > the end results going to be?
>
> If you are working from a mini they should be close.	After all, at

Dunno, actually.  That's one of things that I was hoping to learn from
this thread.

> Replace your long gun with a SLAM system and things will be different.
> GMS/Hs work well.  Try going lower tech and see how many more tanks
> you get.  A completely different feel.

But if your tank is modelled with a long gun, you can't really call it a
SLAM without confusing folks.  That said, I see what you mean about
weapon
systems.

> > Solution?  Beats me.  I'd like to see something like the FT building
> > system, or even (bear with me for a moment here) classic Car Wars.
> > Given $15,000  to spend, you could end up with a ton of different
> > vehicles, all of them of similar combat potential.	Maybe I need
> > more experience with the system, but it
> > seems to me that DSII can't do the same right now.
>
> I really would prefer not to go to  the complexity of Car Wars.

I'm talking Pocket Box days here, not the latter days of eighty billion
weapon systems, 32 different engine choice, and 16 different classes of
Fuzzy Dice
to hang from your mirror.  And even Pocket Box CW is more complexity
than I want for DSII.  Something on the level of Full Thrust, or even
easier, would
be ideal.

You know, I wonder if it's worth trying to adapt FT to microarmor....

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: [DS] Dicing variants was: Hidden units Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)