Prev: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:41:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

--- Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Dances With Rocks wrote:
>
> > But can someone give me example ROEs?? Serious
> ones?

> Too far afield? This group? Please... :>
>
> OK, I ran "rules of engagement" thru Google; got a
> heap of movie pages
> (about a badly done and horribly racist movie,
> apparently), some right

Very well done and realistic movie. . .

> Skimming the FAS doc, there's lots of stuff about
> 'not escalating' and
> 'unit self defense'; just those restrictions could

> I also went to the US Army's Digital Library
> (http://www.adtdl.army.mil/)

ADTDL is apparently out tonight.

But I can say that ROE is highly variable.

The ROE in Kosovo was full of disclaimers.  Their
favorite (used about a half-dozen times) is "If the
tactical situation permits."  The first line is
"Nothing in this ROE supercedes the basic right to
self defense."

In the situation we were in in Kosovo required
discretion on the part of the NCOs and officers
leading missions, and self-discipline on the part of
troops.  If you slap them with a 16-page booklet that
stomps on their initiative, in accordance with some
manual written by a paperpusher or a UN beauracrat,
they can't do their job.

Just ask the UN force in Bosnia.

I'll try to dig up a complete copy of the ROE from
Kosovo for you.

John

Prev: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire