Prev: Re: One More Oxymoron Next: Re: SGII -- Scenario with alien creatures

RE: [DS] Points system

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:59:20 -0800
Subject: RE: [DS] Points system

Ryan M Gill wrote:

>>But if the final means of guaging is correct, then the points are
>>all you need.....
>

>Good luck. Points systems are hard.

I said it was ideal, not easy. ;-)

>But your weight should change as well. I think it s a question of
>which cause comes first. I personally think the cost factor should be
>the last end result.

Which is the only result that matters in game terms.

>And Weight. Weight needs to factor in as well as that bears in on
>special situations like cargo and drop ships when trying to tie it
>all in with FT. Course this is entirely ommitted from the system.

was
the one area in which weight/capacity would still matter (OK, and
bridges).
THAT capacity should reflect both volume and mass, especially mass.

>But your weight should have gone up with the increased armor and
>engine. If I put a bigger engine in the thing, that should go up too
>should it not?

Yes, it should, you are correct.  But if the new engine increases the
power
enough to increase the speed, the desired effect is reached.  That
engine
should thus cost more.	But if we merely eliminate the middle man and
calxulate how much the POINTS cost should be for a vehicle of given
armor to
go a given speed, we have all the information we need _*in game terms*_.

>>>A Merkava is armored more than an Abrams or a Leopard. It is slower.
>>>It has a different emphasis. I'm not looking at Marks or Dollers
>>>here, just vehicle stats.
>>
>>I don't recall mentioning scrip either.  Just game effect and
>>relative point cost.
>
>Dollars/Shekels/Marks = pts cost does it not?

No.  Dollars etc. reflect how much it costs IN REAL LIFE.  Points
reflects
it's effectiveness in game play.  Totally separate issues.

>But you're still tied to all tracked vehicles go slow or fast.

No, you're not.  If the point systems factors vehicle speed into the
points
equation, you can design a vehicle of any armor/firepower, capable of
any
speed, and be able to calculate how many points such a vehicle should
cost.
A simplistic example:

Say the armor and weaponry for a given vehicle(called AW for the
example)
cost 20 points in our imaginary system.  If you do somehting as simple
as
multiplying this number by it's speed, you get:

A vehicle of X AW with a speed of 1 would cost 20 points.
A vehicle of X AW with a speed of 2 would cost 40 points.
A vehicle of X AW with a speed of 3 would cost 60 points.

Granted, this is an example and is not my proposal for the exact points
method (Though it is on the right track).  But it shows my point.

Its
>lacking a certain fuzzy nature. Heavier armored vehicles should be
>slower that lighter armored vehicles unless you put a bigger engine
>in it.  I'm looking for the _er_ part here.

Agreed,  But if you reflect that heavier engine by making it cost more
points, you don't need to actually calculate how much heavier.	In game
terms, for a given vehicle to have a given armor/speed combo,  you can
describe it as heavier armor and a more powerful engine.  You can
describe
it as quantum-aligned hyperceramic armor, infused with magical essence
and
blessed by all the gods of the 17 realms.  As long as said vehicle costs
the
same amount of points no matter which description applies, I'm happy.

3B^2

Prev: Re: One More Oxymoron Next: Re: SGII -- Scenario with alien creatures