Prev: Figure bases, Deimos, ROE Next: Re: Figure bases

Re: [DS] Points system was [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:57:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] Points system was [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

At 11:07 AM -0500 4/3/02, Indy wrote:
>  > As someone who owns two vehicles with sloped armor, that sloped
armor
>>  allows for more spaces to put stuff.
>
>I'm not following your reasoning here. If you slope armor, you
>reduce the amount of internal space/volume, which is part of
>what the capacity rating of a vehicle is, no?

To a degree. I think that the amount you loose is made up for in part
by the lengthening of the volume. It used to be Drivers of tanks sat
in a fairly standard position. Now days, they lie down practically.
There is still plenty of space for stuff down in there, its just
squished flat. Same thing goes for turrets and bustles. By flattening
out the turret, you're extending its length and the area in which
parts of the elevation gear for the main gun fits. By moving the
trunnions foward from the area of the turret ring (and the back of
the bustle of the turret) you are getting more space in the area of
the turret ring for crew and other stuff. Additionally you're able to
stow ammo in the bustle of the turret where in WWII vehicles a Single
or maybe two wireless sets would barely fit.

Overall, I don't think you loose that much space as re-arrange it.

>Okay, how's this for a spontaneous thought (I'm rapidly
>approaching my quota for the week :-/ ) - have armor take
>up a capacity point for each level you have, up to the
>size class of your vehicle (thus a size class 3 vehicle
>would use 3 capacity points for level-3 armor). But if you
>want to add on *additional* armor (ala your bolt-on armor
>above), for each level over your size class reduce movement
>by some factor, and possibly also have it cost another capacity
>point. Thus you could PSB it away that a certain size-classed
>vehicle has a certain standard max rating for armor, but if
>you want to add to it, then you start incurring penalties to
>the system (engine) in that it was not it was not designed to
>carry that much more mass.

I think applying this system to current vehicles helps some in the
tweaking department. Use M-113's and T-55's as examples. Both have
seen significant upgrades. I suspect that the M-60 series works well
in this regard too.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Figure bases, Deimos, ROE Next: Re: Figure bases