Prev: Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire Next: Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey

Re: [DS] Points system was [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:46:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] Points system was [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

At 4:05 PM +0100 4/3/02, Tony Francis wrote:

>Not necessarily - there are more ways of uprating survivability than
>bolting more plate to the side of a tank. Radical sloping of the armour
>would increase effective armour thickness, but _would_ actually reduce
>the internal space available (ie capacity) rather than increasing
weight
>(and reducing speed). Both methods are valid.

As someone who owns two vehicles with sloped armor, that sloped armor
allows for more spaces to put stuff. Even with my 1960's and my
1940's vehicles, there are lots of things you have to stow. For two
people working and living out of a ferret, there are lots of places
to put things, but guess what, they are taken up by radio harness
control boxes, ammo boxes, radio spares, tools, spares for weapons,
spare vison blocks, personal weapons.

My point is, even with sloped armor, you just have a reshaping of the
space inside. Granted, there is likely a slight lessening of the
internal volume, but using the M113 Zeldas as an example. The
Israeli's bolted and hung additional armor to the outside of the
vehicles. Overall weight went up. Same for the Achezarits (sp?), they
went from being a T-55 tank to an APC with a 3 man crew and 7
dismounts plus 10 tons. They even fitted a smaller engine.
Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |	       |	   |

Prev: Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire Next: Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey