Prev: [DS] Buildings Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

From: John Lambshead <pjdl@n...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:44:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

WRG are the British Wargame Research Group. An old traditional wargame
rules group associated with Phil Barker and mates. They have a cult fan
base, who tend to be rather hostile to 'trivial' wargaming, with no
sense
of humour. Their rules are cheaply produced and sold with
endless  versions. They strike me as amateur, for good and ill. I have
found their later rules sets not much fun but like the earlier ones
(1970s)
People seem to either love them or hate them. It won't cost you much to
try
them.
John

>Robin Paul wrote:
>

>>Steal the WRG WW2 or Modern acquisition rules?
>
>WRG?	Not familiar with it - remember, my wargaming exposure's pretty
>limited (ASL long ago, Battletech & GZG more recently), I'm a converted
RPG'er.

>>There's also a freeware set of coastal warfare rules called "Hunters
on the
>>Shoreline"
>
>Sounds fun, where can I get them?
>
>with a simpler version:
>>(paraphrase follows)
>
>*SNIP*
>
>>Inside this distance, a size-specific die is rolled for each target,
d4, d6
>>etc. - a scorer of 4 or less is spotted.
>
>Sounds easy to wedge into a FMA system.
>
>>You could modify this so that e.g. in the table above, "small target"
>>becomes perhaps "Infantry", medium target becomes "Vehicles up to size
2"
>>etc.
>
>I'm thinking along the same lines, but want to base the rolls not just
on
>range, but also FIrecon quality & overall signature.
>
>3B^2

Dr PJD Lambshead
Head, Nematode Research Group
Department of Zoology
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD, UK.
Tel +44 (0)20 7942 5032
Fax +44 (0)20 7942 5433
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/zoology/home/lambshead.htm
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/zoology/nematode/index.html

What a wonderful thing is the cat! on making it God said "That's that!
Supurrnatural selection has brought us purrfection -
which is a great relief to Me after My earlier mistake with the nematode
worm
(Rowena Sommerville)

Prev: [DS] Buildings Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)