Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY Next: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY-Conversion of NAC w/berets to ball caps

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:39:49 +1000
Subject: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY-Conversion of NAC w/berets to ball caps

At 03:59  31/03/02 +0000, Scott wrote:
>The old ball cap was a very distinctive and unique part of the army
>uniform. When you saw a group of NATO soldiers it was pretty easy to
pick
>out the Americans by the 'ball caps'. In addition, the cap points back
>the Army's history- remember the Civil War? Vietnam too...It also
points
>to the American people and the national pastime- baseball. An easy
visual
>link to the American people.

Maybe once but not any more, base ball caps are everywhere, commerical
companies stick logos on them and hand them out, other militaries use
them.
A part of the uniform for the working day on board ship in the Royal
Australian Navy is a baseball cap with the ship's name, etc on it.

I suppose it's the down side to "Cultural Imperialism" :) everyone likes
use a good idea. Just think how the French felt in the 30's (?) when
armies
of the world adopted the beret ( with the advent of mechanization? ),
after
all it was part of the french national dress.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com
URL; http://www.users.bigpond.com/derekfulton/

Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY Next: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY