Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY Next: Reading List Re-visited

Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

From: "Robert W. Eldridge" <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:01:25 -0500
Subject: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

I would like to observe that the CAVALRY wore a black beret in the U.S.
Army
before the Rangers did. The cavalry regiments in Germany were authorized
wear them from about 1973 or so (don't remember exactly, but it was well
before I returned to CONUS in October 1974). When I reported to 1st
Cavalry
Division at Fort Hood, they had been wearing black berets for some
considerable time as well. The 6th Air Cavalry Brigade were the ones
with
the stetsons. This is all about 5 years before the first of the new
Ranger
battalions was formed (about 1977-78 if I recall correctly). A "special"
force is in the eye of the beholder. The cavalry regiments and the 1st
Cavalry Division both considered themselves special, and performed
accordingly, and none of those units could be considered REMF. As far as
politics, the Airborne (at least the 82nd and XVIII Airborne Corps) is
(or
at least was when I was stationed there) a political swamp.