Prev: Thanks for the Helos Next: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:06:48 -0500
Subject: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

At 8:46 AM -0600 3/30/02, DAWGFACE47@webtv.net wrote:
>SPECIAL FORCES WEAR GREEN BERETS  THE	US ARMY.

Well, aren't Rangers a form of special forces?

The British use the following colors for berets to my understanding

Black		Royal Tank Regiment and Royal Armored Corps (Dates
back to WWII)
Dk Brown	Royal Hussars
Green		Royal Marine Commandos
Dk Green	Army Commandos
Tan		SAS
OD		Regular Army
Scarlet 	Para's/Airborne
Light Blue	Royal Army Air Corps

>I  see NO reason for the majority of the ARMY to wear any berets or
>blouse their pants.

*shrug* Such distinctions give different units their own identity.
The continued use by the Cavalry units to wear black stetsons.

>those were symbal of distinction;
>not for tank drivers, cannoncockrs,  aircrew,	clerks,  jerks,  and
>REMF commandoes to parade around in.

Remember, tank drivers had their own unique status back in the day as
the whole concept of mechanized warfare was very new. Being able to
keep your tank running during a battle in the old days was a pretty
serious job.

I do agree that the decision to go with a black beret for the entire
US Army is a bit daft. I personally think, going with a basic OD
Beret would have been correct. Even so, if the Rangers were to switch
to another color beret, I think things would eventually settle in
back to normal.

>the plain old garrison cap was quite  suffieint for wear with CLASS As,
>and the plan old fatigue cap or bush hat for field uniforms without
>helmets.

I will grant that. Were I Shinseki, I'd have shifted to the berets
but not one that an elite unit had a connection to already.

>nothing but REMF bullshit, posturing, and politics  involved in the
>decision.

REMF nothing. I thouhgt it was the Brass that had the final choice...

>like ginving women  COMBAT slots in ARMY combat units and then having
>withdraw them before COMBAT deployments.

I think those women if they are able to train for combat, should go
into combat. Russian women were fighting and dying in WWII.
Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Thanks for the Helos Next: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY