Prev: [OT] Creation of life in space-like conditions Next: Re: Reading Request.

RE: Re: [OT] Beanstalk anyone?

From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@a...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:31:20 -0600 (CST)
Subject: RE: Re: [OT] Beanstalk anyone?

Attaching a mass to send up doesn't necessarily have to tug the whole
thing down either.  A couple of solutions are to have the same mass
coming
down as going up (if the top end were in orbit near an asteroid being
mined and ore was shipped down), or to have the counterweight at the top
with an adjustable length tether.  When you attach a elevator at the
bottom, let the counterweight out a bit and reel it in as your elevator
climbs to the center of mass.

Another consideration is how much is an elevator going to affect the
whole
system?  This thing is going to be HUGE, and have a lot of mass.  50
tons
of mass a day may only be a small perturbation force compared to even
things like wind.  The gravity from the moon and sun are also going to
be
pretty hefty perturbations on its stability as well, just think what
they
do to the oceans every day.

For a couple of additional references:
http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Tech/Megascale/tower.txt