Prev: Re: Unarmoured but armed Military vehicles. Next: Re: [OT]One for Beth

Re: [OT]Second-Hand Canuck Gear

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:33:04 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Second-Hand Canuck Gear

From: "Brian Burger" <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>

> > You know your army's not the best equipped when you buy gear too
obsolete even
> > for CANADA...
>
> OUCH! A direct hit, Mr Brain... :>

More of an "own goal", Mr Burger. :-)

> The Canadian Army does have one or two neat toys; the Coyote recon
vehicle
> is actually supposed to be equal or superior to anything in anyone
> else's armoury...
>
> http://www.army.forces.ca/LF/equip/veh/COYOTE_E.HTML

Nice. What's its performance in 40+ temperatures? That's Celsius, not
Fahrenheit.
We've had to refit nearly everything from the Northern Hemisphere with
additional
water storage, new Thermal Imaging equipment that works at 50C as well
as -20C,
additional air conditioning etc.

> (The Canadian Forces actually run some very good websites, this being
one
> of the better ones.)

Rather better than any of ours.
> I just noticed, on the above website, that the Canadian Leopard-based
> bridge layer is called... wait for it... the Beaver.
>
> That's so Canadian it's painful... :>

And the German Biber you call a "Badger". Eh? :-)

I must tell you the story of the "Mad Mountie", a Canuck Submariner on
secondment
with the RAN. BTW I've helped train quite a few Canadian Submariners,
but
this one
was before my time.

Prev: Re: Unarmoured but armed Military vehicles. Next: Re: [OT]One for Beth