Prev: Re: Reading Request. Next: Re: Reading Request.

Re: Reading Request.

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:00:57 -0600
Subject: Re: Reading Request.

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:49:45 -0600 (CST), DAWGFACE47@webtv.net wrote:

>I tried to read  the ENDER  SERIES and gave up . . . .

I pretty much gave up reading sci-fi after going to WorldCon in Winnipeg
in
'94. Long story, but let's just say that I came away with a pretty poor
view
of sci-fi writers (except those who are my friends... *plug* read
"Ventus" by
Karl Schroeder; not only is it a good book, but he's a really great
guy!).

The last sci-fi book I read was the Sci-Fi book club edition of the
Hyperion
Cantos, which included "Hyperion" and "Fall of Hyperion". That's a good
series
(never read the third book, though) by Dan Simmons. There is future
combat but
not a huge amount of detail. I'd love to do The Swarm in FT, and I'd
love to
see DS2 stats for a Hellwhip.

Other than that, I remember enjoying Ender's Game and the first sequel,
but
didn't go beyond that. I used to love David Drake's Hammer's Slammers,
but his
later Slammers books were phoned in. Drake was never that great at
characterization, and some of his books appear to have left it out
entirely.

My favourite sci-fi combat book is "The Forever War". I don't remember
much
about them, but read a couple of Lois Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan books.
They
were quite enjoyable I remember at the time.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: Reading Request. Next: Re: Reading Request.