Prev: Re: Force sizes-Confusing US ranks Next: Re: We Were Soldiers

Re: "Education" System, was Re: [SG] HAMR

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:20:12 -0800
Subject: Re: "Education" System, was Re: [SG] HAMR

Mark Reindl wrote:

>Dunno what teachers you're dealing with.  Speaking for the ones that I
>work with, "gifted" means that you simply need to challenge that
student
>more.

Lucky for your students.  Not all of us as STUDENTS had those kinds of
teachers.  Many of mine were dedicated and caring, and a few truly were
excellent and had the above attitude, but most chose to brush past any
student who didn't "fit in."

>Of course, some of the most gifted students I've seen have also
>been some of the laziest.

Some.  I struggled all through school, and I'm sure some of my teachers
thought I was lazy, but I wasn't.  It was more a problem with how they
expected me to learn, and how my brain wanted to learn, and the vast
gulf
between the two.  While in Grade school in Idaho, I was tested and they
determined I had a high IQ but a learning disability.  They didn't
bother to
figure out what that LD was, or to do anyhting about it except to send
me to
a special room a couple hours a week where they lumped all the "Gifted"
and
"challenged" kids together with one very caring but overworked teacher.

Mind you, this is more a reflection on the administration system than on

teachers, but that doesn't change just how useless it was to me.

>Hmm, what about those of us who *are* teachers?  I would strongly
>encourage you to put your money where your mouth is.  See how much fun
it
>is to jump through the hoops to become a teacher.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm in school studying to do, thanks.  As
for
those of us who ARE teachers, my hat is off to you.  My comment was made
as
somewone who DOES want to put his money where his mouth is, and is
actively
pursuing that end.  But it would have been too much trouble to find that
out
before you merely made a snide remark, wouldn't it have been?

See what a blast it is
>when you realize that the kiddies are *not* going to all just sit at
your
>feet and drink in your every word just because you're giving it to
them.

Wow.   That's SUCH an accurate description of how I think things are -
I'm
totally delusional, yes.  Thanks for showing me the light.

>My intent here is not to flame, so if the
>message came off that way I do apologize, but should any of you wish to
>take issue with anything I've said, please feel free to do so (as I'm
>sure you will), but I'd appreciate it if you'd preface it by sharing
what
>(if any) experience and background you've had from the *inside* of the
>educational establishment other than as a student.

Ah, yes.  Because students' experiences are not valid.	I know that's
not
what you really mean, but that's exactly the perceived attitude that
many of
us, especially those of us who were viewed as "Special cases,"
encountered
in school.  Actually, my issue is not with your feelings/ideas about
education.  However, when you assumed that I was just spouting off and
not
backing up my opinion with a course of action, THAT I DID take issue
with.

In all of the time
>I've been on this list, I've been more than willing to defer to experts
>in other fields and at least assume that they know what they're talking
>about, and would appreciate the same consideration for my chosen field.

A valid point.	I'd also like to point out, however, that "Teacher" is
as
broad a term as "scientist."   Bearing in mind that the range of skills
and
talents required to teach are as broad as the spectrum of students,
their
ages, and the subkects taught, is it possible that while you are
probably an
excellent teacher, there might just be certain levels of teaching and
development you are not AS well-versed in, and is it therefore possible
that
the experiences of a student at that level, particularly an observant
one,
might be just as valid as your own views?  Just a thought.

3B^2

Prev: Re: Force sizes-Confusing US ranks Next: Re: We Were Soldiers