Prev: Re: [OT] odd cross cultural experiences Next: Re: Force sizes

Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:04:25 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

Quoting Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>:

> Brian Bilderback wrote:
>
> > >From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@voicenet.com>
> >
> > >My wife likes to observe that a casual visitor to our house would
> never
> > >think that two adults live there...biut she's the one who asks for
> Lego
> > >sets for
> > >Christmas, so she can't really complain.
> >
> > I'm the Lego addict in our household.
> >

> The only engineer that does not still play with LEGO (TM), does not
have
> any.
> Would you believe that the Lego Mindstorm was targeted for 12-15
> year-olds?  It
> is mostly purchased by university graduates, and there is one fellow
> that
> actually combines it with the Technic sets to design automated
assembly
> lines
> (from an issue of the IEEE Spectrum magazine).  It has even been used
as
> teaching aid in courses on programable logic controllers.

I used to have a model city that filled a room in a previous house. Now
I've
got a more permanent place of residence, I'm looking into a new version.
Only
this time I want the trains routed automatically, because the manual
pneumatic
switching system I used to use is too slow.

Think black-and-white bricks making barcodes down the side of them and a

mindstorms+lightsensor to read that and work the switches... <grin>

If there's one hobby that can chew up money faster than gaming, it's got
to be
that. The insurance policy for the house includes cover for 6K of
Lego...

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions

Prev: Re: [OT] odd cross cultural experiences Next: Re: Force sizes