Prev: Re: Scouts..... Next: Re: [OT] odd cross cultural experiences

Re: [OT]Industrial Sludge

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:40:02 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Industrial Sludge

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@hotmail.com>

> Starbuck's is McCoffee

Well put.

> Maybe it's because most of the coffee I've ever drunk has been
> >in
> >Germany or Holland, where it's of equal strength. Say two
> >heaped-to-the-limit
> >teaspoons of Nescafe to a standard cup, 5 grains of salt, no
stronger.

> Ugh.	That barely qualifies as tea.

?? Not strong enough or what?

> Or as potable.

In Holland, they then add "Karnemelk" - Buttermilk - to it.

> >b) Turkish Coffee isn't that bad, even the last third. The few cups
of it
> >I've
> >had were fairly consistent - the top few millimetres were liquid, the
rest
> >fairly uniform gritty slush.

> Just because it's evil and it's sludge doesn't mean it's bad.  And if
ground
> correctly for Turkish, it's not that gritty either.

It's "gritty" the way Cadbury's chocolate is "gritty", compared with the
hideous slither-down-the-throat textureless sweetness of Hershey's.

"Gritty" like talc, not like sand.

> >Maybe I'm just insensitive to caffeine. Last time I had a cup of
coffee
was
> >last century anyway. Earl Grey's more my tipple. Sometimes with a
dash of
> >Benedictine.
>
> My wife prefers English Breakfast, I'm a Darjeeling fan myself.

Indicating that you both have good taste. (Of course a REAL afficionado
would have me telling why I prefer Fortnum & Mason's Earl Grey blend to
Twining's, whiole preferring Twinings for nearly everything else, but
that's
a digression)

> >The obligatory attempt to bring this on-topic *:
>
> You're still trying?	What a trooper!

People have told me I'm very trying at times.

> >a) What is the Effect of Combat Drugs in SG2.
> >b) Trading in the Tuffleyverse: high-value commodities such as coffee
beans
> >could make even small quantities of trade at high cost quite
feasible.

> What about the discovery of indigenous plants that give coffee/Tobacco
etc.
> a run for their money in the popular vices field?

Good point. Or colonists like ultra-orthodox Mormons who consider mildly

Prev: Re: Scouts..... Next: Re: [OT] odd cross cultural experiences