Prev: Re: Force sizes Next: Re: Scouts.....

[OT] Bar Fight

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:26:14 +0100
Subject: [OT] Bar Fight

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Brewer" <davidbrewer@blueyonder.co.uk>
> > > Hmmmmm..... Scares a whiskey drinker, huh?  I'll have to look into
this...
> > > retsina.....    although my favorites will still have a tendency
towards
> > > names beginnig in 'glen'.   ;-)
>
> I don't understand this at all. Retsina is a Greek wine, oddly
> flavoured with pine resin (thus the name), not a spirit. Top Greek
> Brandy is called Metaxa and rated 3-, 5- and 7-star for
> smoothness.

Apparently the pine flavouring is a tradition from the days when the
Greeks
transported their wine in terracotta bottles (aka Amphorae). These had
to be
made water-tight with resin.

> Another famed Greek spirit is "ouzo", flavoured with aniseed,
> which helpfully turns cloudy when adulterated with water.

With lots of cold water it makes a nice summer evening drink. Though I
prefer the French aniseed variants (Pernod or Ricard) for that purpose.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Force sizes Next: Re: Scouts.....