Prev: RE: Re: [SG] David's KraVak rules Next: Re: [DSII] What Size Forces Do I Need?

re: Scouts....

From: "Nortel" <davidar@n...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:03:42 -0500
Subject: re: Scouts....

Mechanics of Scouting

hopefully, the following descriptions with give everyone some ideas how
implement recon in their DS2 and SG2 games.  now that I look it over it
is a
bit rambling, but I hope you get the idea.

the best game I've had played that did a good job with scouts is Command
Decision (latest version = 3), a WW2 miniatures game.

in CD, each stand of infantry (2-3 figs) = 1 platoon.  recon are 1
fig/stand
and represent 1 person upto 1 squad.  there are dedicated recon stands
or
"temporary" ones.  the temporary recon groups are infantry platoons that
split into 2 squads whose priamry purpose is to scout.

each CD game starts with concealed deployment regardless of engagement
type.
this can be fully hidden (using drawn maps) or group counters.	each
co-located group get a hidden counter to place.  then a random number of
dummy counters are used to add to the confusion.  we invented a slightly
different alternative to fully hidden deployment.  since we use GeoHex
(Hi
KR!), we use extra terrain pieces on which to deploy, then place them on
the
table when discovered.	it cuts down on the map scribbling.

spotting enemy forces includes several factors:
* training (quality) of spotting unit
* dedicated recon unit or ad hoc?
* target in cover and what type (open, woods, dug in, combo)?
* target moved (half or full move)?
* target fired?
* spotter moved (half or full move)?
* spotter is armor?
* what distance?

it's easier for infantry to spot vs armor
spotter moving makes spoting harder
target cover makes spotting harder
target moving and firing makes spotting easier
some actions can be seen from far away, while others require close range

so, a target moving and firing in the open is the easiest to spot and
can be
seen from a further distance.  a stationary unit, dug-in and in woods
cannot
be seen until real close.

imagine the surprise when a recon group creeps up to within 3" (150m) of
woods line, a hidden infantry company opens up on them.  they don't feel
so
good, but the tank company providing cover for the recon group grins
happily
as they load up HE....

each group (usually a company, 4-6 platoon stands) gets a spotting roll
in
the following sequence.

turn sequence (roughly)
-----------------------
movement
spotting
opportunity fire
spotting
general fire

so some decision must be made as when to fire and reveal your position.
there is also recon by fire.  fire at suspected locations (with some
negatives), hoping to causes suppression.  enemy may fire prematurely
while
the getting is good.

oh yea, this is mostly done without a referee and is pretty smooth when
everyone knows the rules.

Tactics & Psychology
--------------------
it's an interesting study in tactics and people when hidden deployment
is
used.  I've noted how everyone (inclduing myself) gets a lots more
cautious
when you lack that God-eye view.  the boogie man seems to jump out of
every
bit of cover, corner or structure.  it's especially interesting to see
the
attacker's angst of pushing his force closer to make his scenario
deadline,
but cringing at potential ambush points.

this forces new tactics, like probing, artillery prep, airstrikes,
ground
and air recon, force reserves, unexpected attacks, etc.

even tho it's a bit of extra effort, it adds tremendous excitement and
generates lots of club stories.  I love the one where my German
motorcycle
recon company ambushed a lead Russian battalion.  they threw them into
such
confusion that their attack stalled just enough to move reinforcements
into
a very weak area.  it saved the day.

have fun.

Dave

Prev: RE: Re: [SG] David's KraVak rules Next: Re: [DSII] What Size Forces Do I Need?