Prev: Re: [OT]Industrial Sludge Next: Re: [ot] Sonic Devices

Scouts/Spotters, HTML, Drones and odd cross cultural experiences

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:35:31 -0500
Subject: Scouts/Spotters, HTML, Drones and odd cross cultural experiences

John A. said:
Nonsense.  I've won scenarios with scout
platoons.  Or at least, decisively engaged
the enemy with indirect fire and caused so
much damage that he spent a LOT of
effort tracking down the scouts, which
caused him to loose the game.

[Tomb] Funny similar example. Iraqis in
Gulf War dug in in coastal town. Water
along one long board edge. Mines, T-72s,
BMPs, lots of infantry, mortars. US and UK
attacking - Challengers, M1A1, Bradleys,
etc. (At least 2:1 numercial plus tacair and
arty).

Iraqi player puts up fake minefield signs
and little sand lumps all over. Totally fakes
out US advance (no engineers
accompanying apparently... nor intel....). So
the Yanks go for a wide swing into one end
of town (take a flank). Cram their WHOLE
force down this narrow alley. Send an
apache or some other sort of chopper into
town (oops, say hello to SAMs... boom).

Iraqi player has one little observer unit with
a 105mm RR on the hill at that end of
town. No infantry. Fires at a Bradley. Light
damage. The US player debarks an entire
infantry platoon plus an armoured platoon
and conducts a hasty attack upon the hill
thinking it is loaded with enemy infantry.
Meanwhile the Iraqi player is calling in
some off board fire support and lining up
his tanks for flank shots at the almost
parked US attack lane while they wait
painfully for the US attack on this hill to
locate the (obviously well hidden) Iraqi
infantry and mines.... whereas the spotters
and their jeep just burrow down to dodge
fire from 4 tanks, 4 bradleys, and 8 stands
of infantry....

Now, this was quite a few years back and
the players made (in some sense) a
credible assumption that the Iraqi defender
would have defended this location.... but he
stopped his entire attack to overrun this
one hilltop.... and that let the Iraqi player
play Hobb with his parked armoured
formation. Won the battle on the hilltop,
lost the battle for the town....

HTML:
Chen-song, could you (if possible) disable
your HTML on list mails? It is really doing
_ugly_ things to the digests. Thanks.

Drones:
I see they now have a pie-plate sized unit
controlled by a wrist computer and flown
via a thin optical fiber. Short range (couple
of hundred meters) but lets infantry squads
look over hilltops, buildings, around
corners, into caves, etc. Very cool. I'm
trying to think of how to do this justice in
SG2 but haven't quite got it figured yet.

Molotovs and Satchel Charges for SG2:
Molotov... I'd give these D6 impact. Range
short only. They might work versus a
normal vehicle, mostly just annoy a tank
unless they get a very lucky hit in.
Satchel Charges - I'd give them (note, at
Oerjan's guidance I know give my IAVRs
this) 3d12* impact. Some of the new
satchel charges (large, tis true) are killing
Merkavas now. Short range only. Or maybe
even you have to do some sort of close
assault to place one. Give the tank gunner
a chance to mow you down.

Cross Cultural Wierdness:
Sitting in a local Scots Pub on St. Andrews
day. Used to seeing fairskinned folk a
plenty, mostly fair or red-haired. Piper
shows up (like me, dressed in the good
black jacket, the high collar white shirt, and
a lovely kilt and sporan) and is a very dark
black skinned gent with a brilliant white
mop of thick curly hair. Had quite a Scots
accent too as I think he hailed from
Glasgow. Now, as Alan said, this kind of
thing shoudn't be all that surprising... but it
was nonetheless. Nice guy, I bought him a
single malt... that lad could pipe!

And lastly, you lot have made me decide I
must now rent (and possibly later buy) Iron
Giant.... I hope you're happy..... ;)
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Re: [OT]Industrial Sludge Next: Re: [ot] Sonic Devices