Prev: Re: Holds for hauling OGRE/GEV troops... Next: Re: Gafiated

Re: Cultural Waves

From: "Alan E Brain"<aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:22:49 +1000
Subject: Re: Cultural Waves

>We have second plus generation
>Black English subjects, African-derived subjects (usually Nigerian) and

>black Caribbean subjects (often Jamaican) and culturally they are
unlike
>each other.

I admit it came as a bit of a surprise when I asked directions from a
group
of (obviously African by descendence) people in London and was answered
in the
broadest Cockney I've ever heard. It shouldn't have done, but it did.

In Australia, there is a distinct difference between the Old Chinese (
came
over during the Gold Rush 150 years ago ) and the posr-WW2 strong
trickle of
southern Chinese (hailing from Malaysia, IndoChina mainly, descendants
of immigrants
themselves) who are quite different in culture.

So next time you think about former-FSE immigrants on Nouvelle Nouvelle
Caledonie,
remember that they might be closer to the culture of their Indian
former-ESU
neighbours than that of La Belle France.

Prev: Re: Holds for hauling OGRE/GEV troops... Next: Re: Gafiated