Prev: Re: Next: FTL 'Warp-Surfing' drive (was:

Re:

From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@a...>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:37:29 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re:

He's referring (I think) to Marc Miller's Traveller.  Before the ships
can
activate their jump drives they must be a 20-diameter distance from a
source of gravity.  In reality, I think it has to do with being far
enough
from a gravitational source so that 1) spacetime is locally flat over
the
area of your warp bubble, 2) so that your warp bubble doesn't disrupt
things for you starting/destination point.  In the paper it says:

R << d << D

where R is the radius of the warp bubble, d is the distance from the
starting star, D is the distance to the second star.

I think d would depend more on the mass of the planet/star you're
starting
near than on the diameter.  You'd want to be more than 20 diameters away
from a black hole, I'd think (using the diameter of the event horizon of
course, the singularity has no diameter.)

Randy Wolfmeyer
Dept. of Physics
Washington University