Prev: Re: [Full Thrust] Fuel Next: Re: [SG] David's KraVak rules

Re: [SG] David's KraVak rules

From: katie@f...
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:29:18 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [SG] David's KraVak rules

Quoting Tony Francis <tony.francis@kuju.com>:

> Brian Burger wrote:
> >
> > Glad you like it. I was getting really tired of the stark
> black-red-white
> > scheme of the old look of my site, and those freeware H.R.
> Geiger-ish
> > images, when I found them in the depths of my HD, set the new tan &
> blue
> > look right away. I think the new layout is also way, way better than
> the
> > old site. I just wish Prohosting supported PHP, it would make site
> > maintanence SO much easier! (The thing is 75 HTML pages; 12-13Mg
> right
> > now...)
>
> Style sheets ? You could change the look of the whole site by
> uploading
> one new file.

Hahahahahahaha.

Only one ickle snag there: they don't WORK.

I was playing with them a while back, I found that pages look COMPLETELY

different on various browsers, because they differ in interpretation of
the
stuff, and worse, Netscape requires Javascript turned on to run CSS. And
most
people I know have Javascript turned off because of the number of
singing-
dancing-pain-in-the-neck javascripted adverts.

Seriously, CSS involves lots of pain to get everything working right on
all the
browsers.

{Disclaimer: I gave up and wrote perl scripts to write massive amounts
of
regular HTML instead..}

> The Brigade site has over 1500 pages ....

Content Management System: takes your text files, HTML templates, blends
it all
together and will FTP the results that have changed up to your
webserver. There
are several free ones and a couple of cheap-enough type ones. Have a
look at
http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/ for a nice example - there's a
"starter"
version which is free, although 1500 page sites will need the pro
versions.

Prev: Re: [Full Thrust] Fuel Next: Re: [SG] David's KraVak rules