Prev: Re: goodbye.. Next: Re: goodbye..

Re: ACID RESISTANT ARMOR

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 15:43:36 +0100
Subject: Re: ACID RESISTANT ARMOR

----- Original Message -----
From: <DAWGFACE47@webtv.net>

> KARL, being  just a plain joe, the idea of acid  resistant/proof  body
> armor that is   resistant/proof against  ballistic, explosive
> fragmentation, and DEW weapons is an interesting concept.

Indeed, and it should alos be light, comfortable, warm in winter, cool
in
summer, maintenance-free, foolproof, easily affordable and come in a
choice
of at least a dozen tasteful colors.

Unfortunately, no real piece of equipment will ever fit such a bill.

> POWERED ARMOR, to me, would be the best solution to defeat or to offer
> GOOD protection from all of the  above.
>
> also why could not a VERY FAST ACTING  ACID  and  A VERY DEADLY POISON
> be combined as an anti-personel weapon?

Of course you could argue for some science-fantasy substances with those
properties.

As far as realistic chemistry goes, I don't think you could combine
them. I
am not a (bio)chemist, but I had some basic classes at school and
university.

Fast-acting poisons are typically elaborate organic compounds that
attack
vulnerable part of their targets biochemistry (the nervous system,
usually).
Because they are complicated molecules, they tend to be easily destroyed
by
acids.

There are not that many fast-acting acids. No known acid will destroy
all
known substances, so there will be defences against any given acid. Also
acids are consumed when they attack a substance. Thus, a certain amount
of
acid can only destroy so much material.

But there are probably people on this list who know this stuff better
than I
do.

Overall, explosives or penetrating bullets are more effective at
penetrating
materials.

Greetings

Prev: Re: goodbye.. Next: Re: goodbye..