Prev: RE: [OT]Wither Canada? Next: Re: [ARCHIVES] Overhaul complete

Re: Buckingham bullets, was BULLSHIT (ahem!)

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:09:32 -0000
Subject: Re: Buckingham bullets, was BULLSHIT (ahem!)

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@webone.com.au>
SNIP
> It could be argued that the .303 Bock & Pomeroy ammunition,
> and the .303 Buckingham ammunition of WW1 (incendiary/explosive/
> tracer rounds designed to take out Zeppelins) might come under this.
> It's been ruled that a 20mm shell doesn't. It has been
> customary to assume that tracer rounds don't either, but
> that's a fine point, and may change in the future.
SNIP

I recall, from reading Biggles books, something about British pilots
carrying written orders if using Buckingham ammunition (for
balloon-busting
on the Western Front), in an attempt to protect the pilot from
accusations
of using illegal weapons.  I've no idea if this is correct or not, but W
Johns was a RFC pilot. Perhaps it was an unofficial practice on the part
of
front line officers, rather than a legal requirement?

Rob Paul

Prev: RE: [OT]Wither Canada? Next: Re: [ARCHIVES] Overhaul complete