Prev: Re: [SG] HAMR Next: Back On Topic! Re: [ot] paintball

Re: Euro-Immigrants

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:35:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Euro-Immigrants

--- "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:

> You are right about the Arabs and Slavic people.
> I think the "many are Turkish" is partly a matter of
> perception.

In Giessen and the general Frankfurt-am-Main area, US
GIs are not warned about gangs of drunken
anti-American Slavs, Viets, or Koreans.  We _are_
given briefings about the Turks--and some of them seem
to riot when Kurdish leaders are imprisioned so I
presumed they are at least partly Kurdish.  I've never
heard of a US GI being stabbed by anyone other than a
Turk, and Turks tend to travel in packs so they are
actually a threat to GIs (who also travel in packs).

So in 2 years in FRG, I was vaguely aware of other
immigrants, but Turks were a major factor in planning
weekends so they were made an impression.

John

Prev: Re: [SG] HAMR Next: Back On Topic! Re: [ot] paintball