Prev: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs... Next: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...

Re: [OT] Potpourri: Responsibility, Paintball, List Seniority

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:34:15 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT] Potpourri: Responsibility, Paintball, List Seniority

At 01:09  15/03/02 -0500, Tom  wrote:
>Goose Green:
> From what I understand, the Paras were pinned and the Col. was trying
>get them up and moving. This is part of where standard battle-school
A2C
>drills failed... apparently they were going too slowly (part of what
had
>the Colonel desperate to get them moving) because A2C isn't that fast
>(relative to some other options). Ended up that just getting up and
>saying "f*ck it!" and moving/assaulting was better (though it killed a
>few like the Colonel, it eventually got the unit moving). Or so was
>roughly the way I've heard it recounted.

Everyone with a opinion has reasons why Lt. Col Jones did what he did,
some
recount the RSM warning Jones against his actions and being ignored. The

reasons for Lt. Col. Jones' behaviour can only really be answered by him

and of course he's dead.

>This was the particular part of
>Goose Green that I was referencing originally, though thanks to Derek
>for the good exposition though he did fail to mention part of the
reason
>their were problems for the Brits was a shortage of choppers more or
>less courtesy of some silliness from the SAS on a Glacier... ;)

Being at the end of a 8000 nm supply line meant that any loss of
equipment
would be felt. But the real problem to British mobility was the loss of
the
Atlantic Conveyer and the ten Chinooks on board. After that they had to
make do with the one surviving Chinook (call sign Bravo November).

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs... Next: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...