Prev: Re: [OT] Goose Green Next: Highly Recommended E-tailer

Re: 1:1 FMAS

From: katie@f...
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:27:17 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: 1:1 FMAS

Quoting Brendan Pratt <bastard@oalink.com.au>:

> > Worst injuries I've seen to date (not including the above URL which
> > haven't witnessed) mainly exclude paintballs themselves.  Except for
> the
> > very near miss to an eye due to an idiot removing his mask (burst
alot
> of
> > blood vessels and did some internal damage that affected the guys
> sight)
> > the major injuries I've seen are several broken bones due to falls,
> major
> > concussion and a lot of blood from an joker who ran straight down a
> steep
> > hill into a tree (Very cartoon like, without the cartoon characters
> innate
> > ability to bounce back uninjured), one near beheading from running
> into a
> > rope for a flag...	Interesting story there.  Extreme hats off to
the
> Refs
> > at Paintball Atlanta.  They saved the guy's eyes, if not life.  It
was
> > final round tourney, the guy made a end game run for the flag,
caught
> the
> > rope right across the windpipe, mask went one way, his legs went out
> from
> > under him, and he was already taking _major_ fire.	2 Refs jumped
> > litterally on top of him, the other four corner judges ran to the
> center,
> > hands up, taking a lot of shots, yelling cease fire.  (Before anyone
> jumps
> > on the teams throats, in speedball, there's usually 100-200 shots in
> the
> > air at any one time.  And every second, as many as 180 more go.  It
> takes
> > second or two to register the cease fire order)  When they guy got
up,
> we
> > noted over 30 distinguished hits, and several spots that were 2 or
> more
> > hits splotched together.  He had none the moment before he hit the
> rope.

You know, I've gone right off paintball at this point.

It's surprising how little it takes to injure people. Last easter I went
go-
karting. Proper place, all the protective kit on. During a
coming-together I
got what seemed like a rather light tap on the side of the knee from the

steering column. At the time I thought it would leave a nice brightly
coloured
bruise, but it turned out (eventually) to be a fracture on the bottom of
my
femour inside my knee that's so far taken a year to heal up, including
full-on
knee surgery. I'm STILL on crutches and the prediction from the medical
people
is that while I should be walking again in a month or so {learning to
walk:
very dull. It was more fun the first time}, it'll be well into summer
before
I'm actually fully fixed.

I've kind of gone off dangerous sports with that. The version with IR
"laser"
guns seems more appealing...

Prev: Re: [OT] Goose Green Next: Highly Recommended E-tailer