Prev: Re: [FT] Updated MT Missiles question Next: Re: [OT]Responsibility and the Merchants of Death

Never smile at a crocodile was Re: [SG] Terrain ... How Much

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:28:42 +1100
Subject: Never smile at a crocodile was Re: [SG] Terrain ... How Much

At 07:09  15/03/02 +1100, Alan wrote:
>From: "Roger Books" <books@jumpspace.net>
>
> > I took my 6 and 8 year old cousins out to alligator point last
spring.
> > The 6 year old kept walking up to the waters edge and squatting
down.
> > I was glad it was a cold day and no gators were to be found.
>
>Advice: Don't *ever* do this in the Northern Territory of Australia.
>Salties (Salt Water Crocs) can and do take 1-tonne Water Buffaloes.
>A human adult is almost perfect size, anything smaller is a nice snack.
>
>One of the few Autralian Dangerous Beasties whose reputation is not
>grossly understated.

Fisheries Science field trips in the Northern Territory can give some
combat vets the willies, they go issued with a shotguns, rifles and
pistols
(although they have taken the pistols back, a scientist with a pistol is

too dangerous),  never to be out of hands reach and never camp near the
water unless there's a fence. Once two scientists on a field trip were
attacked in their camp 500m from the water. The crocs are learning to
leave
the water at night and seek out feral Water Buffalo carcass, shot from
helicopter and left where they fall, the crocs wander along a track
until
they encounter a meal. Once this was a aboriginal family camping, it
scooped up the mother, but fortunately the family attacked the croc
gouging
it's eyes until it released it's meal.

Since the shooting ban crocs are reaching 5 metres in length and there
are
some 'personality crocs' who survived the shooting who are larger.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: Re: [FT] Updated MT Missiles question Next: Re: [OT]Responsibility and the Merchants of Death