Prev: RE: RE: [FT] Orbit and FT Next: Re: [FMAS] [ECC VI] was SG2 Terrain

SOPs was; Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:18:59 +1100
Subject: SOPs was; Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

At 10:20  13/03/02 -0800, John L. wrote:

>--- Derek Fulton <derekfulton@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > Just a bit of trivia, even though the AIM-9L was a
> > 'all-aspect' missile the
> > RAF and RN SOPs and ROEs required their pilots to
> > fire the missile from the
> > rear of the target aircraft.
>
>OK, but then all the vets understand the durability
>of the SOP procedure AFTER combat has been joined.
>
>:-)

That is not a fair comment to make regarding SOPs, in this case ALL air
air kills with the AIM-9L in the Falklands War were from attacks from
the
rear quarter. For various reasons the RN and RAF choose not to rely on
the
new capability of AIM-9L and stuck with what they knew would work.

'Standard Operating Procedures' (SOPs) are there to provide a common way
of
doing things which puts everybody on the same page [ hence the
standardization ;) ], SOPs are normally the result of experience. When
the
1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment deployed to Vietnam in 1966,
joining the US 173rd Airborne Brigade. They were able to draw on a
wealth
of experience in Jungle fighting dating back to New Guinea (1942) and
this
for a large part came through in the unit SOPs.

BUT this doesn't mean that SOPs are static, at the end of a operation
(say
a fighting patrol) the question should be always asked "OK, this is what
we
did, what can we do to improve on this?". Ideally this process starts
with
the soldiers (during a post patrol de-brief) and travels up the chain of

command [feedback ;)].

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: RE: RE: [FT] Orbit and FT Next: Re: [FMAS] [ECC VI] was SG2 Terrain