Prev: RE: Large Scale Games (was Re: Stardestroyer stats) Next: Re: [FT] Updated MT Missiles question

RE: RE: [FT] Updated MT Missiles question

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:23:24 +0100
Subject: RE: RE: [FT] Updated MT Missiles question

Brian Bell wrote:

> >From: Bell, Brian K (Contractor)
> >Here is the version I like:
> >3) Limited life of 6 game turns.
>
>Quite a long time.
>
>[Bri] In MT, missiles had an endurance of 3, and so did fighters. Since
>fighters were extended, missiles should be also.

"Should"? Hardly. Fighter endurance and missile endurance are two quite
different things:

Fighters had endurance for 3 *attacks*, but an effectively unlimited
number
of *turns*. Missiles had endurance for 3 *turns*, but can never make
more
than 1 *attack* (since they self-destruct when they attack).

> >7) Each MT missile that causes damage is treated as a PDS attack
against
> >all other MT missiles that are attacking the same ship this turn due
> >fratricide. (This is to reduce swarm attacks with MT missiles.)
>
>doesn't make sense that MTM suffer this but SMR don't.  And I'd say
you're
>somewhat less likely to overload defenses with MTM than with
SMR--defender
>only has to get one kill/salvo instead of up to six.
>
>[Bri] You are _more_ likely to be overwhelmed by MTM. This is due to:
>1. You can fire all of them at once.

You can fire all SMRs at once too.

>2. Each _missile_ is targeted by PDS seperatly.

But you get on average 3.5 SMR missiles for the same Mass as 2 MTMs,
which
makes the SMR harder for the PDS to stop.

This fratricide proposal completely guts MTMs.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: RE: Large Scale Games (was Re: Stardestroyer stats) Next: Re: [FT] Updated MT Missiles question