Prev: Re: Sheep Puns Next: Re: Sheep Puns

Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:31:30 GMT
Subject: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...

In message <3C900F47.757B912B@spikyfishthing.com>
	  Jaime Tiampo <fugu@spikyfishthing.com> wrote:

> Charles Taylor wrote:
>
> > Well, fortunately, there are only 3 SV designs in FB2 that can do
that
> > (the 3 biggest) :-)
> > Less fortunately, All but 4 (the 4 smallest) of the FB2 SV can reach
> > ranges of 48mu or more, and there are very few non-SV ships with
this
> > kind of range (err... Komarov SDN and... nothing else).
> >
> > OTOH, I'm not totally happy with the 'reduced range' bands for SV,
> > largely for aesthetic reasons :-)
> >
> > No problem with the changed power pool allocations.
>
> I'm not a big fan of the range mods either though the power pool ones
> make perfect sense. I'm finding my ships only have an advantage at
over
> 36mu and under 9mu. In between they fair worse then Humans and
generally
> over 36mu they only get 1 die for those that can even fire at that
> point. Once they get in range to get 2-3dice they get slaughtered. It
> feels every time they take a threshold they loose 50% of their current
> combat effectiveness. Most times it's not worth attempting to repair
> anything.
>
> Jaime

Especially as they have to spend biomass on repairs!

Just for intrest - I take it you've tried out both sets of range bands
(12mu from FB2, 8-9mu from list), and so can give us some idea how they
play.

How successful are you at keeping the range open (so your opponents are
out of range) ? (which, to the inexperienced, seems the bast way to use
SV).

Charles

Prev: Re: Sheep Puns Next: Re: Sheep Puns