Prev: RE: Sheep Puns Next: Re: Re: Re-entry: was FT: Carriers

Re: A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball

From: "Richard Kirke" <richardkirke@h...>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:50:55 +0000
Subject: Re: A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball

>Paintball:
>
>As someone pointed out to one of our Sergeants, "John, if a fat civvie
>in purple coveralls can get close enough to kill you with an inaccurate
>weapon that deflects on twigs, imagine what would happen if he was a
>professional with a rifle."
>
>Paintball (on any field of size enough you can't see each other at the
>start) is a good testing ground for observation, fieldcraft (moving
>quietly, leopard-crawls, etc), camouflage, ambush, and basic small unit
>tactics. Use of initiative, overwhelming localized firepower,
>speed/mobility, and a bit of ferocity can really make a difference.
Some
>of the best tactics: Flanking, Suppression, Fire and Manouver, Bound
and
>Cover, and Assault Gun style ambush (engage an enemy, fall back out of
>contact, ambush again).

Um sadly this isn't very true, paintball is just so different to actual
combat that charging forward and shooting a lot is usually a good
tactic. I
say this as someone who has played national tournament level paintball
for
about a year now, and once in contact, moving slowly and cautiosly is
pretty
pointless when you can dump paint at your oponent. The fact is, that as
soon
you are in range, you can be heard or seen.

The difference with the Isrealis is that their kit fires at about twice
the
muzzle velocity of paint markers in this country, about 400 miles an
hour,
this extends the range somewhat!

Richard

Prev: RE: Sheep Puns Next: Re: Re: Re-entry: was FT: Carriers